Letter from the President
In July of 2017, Nine Star Education & Employment Services’ President, Dr. David S. Alexander, retired after 40 years of service to Alaskans. In October, Nine Star’s Board of Directors appointed me to succeed him as President and CEO. I feel truly honored to serve our staff, clients, and students while strengthening our community at the same time.
I have “grown up” professionally at Nine Star and during my 29 years here, I have held a wide variety of positions and served in numerous capacities. This hands-on experience includes direct service to clients, programmatic oversight, a wide spectrum of leadership activities, and the opportunity to nurture a work environment conducive for staff to thrive both professionally and personally. I work within Nine Star’s walls and out in the community to move the needle on economic self-sufficiency for under- and unemployed Alaskans. I am grateful that David, my friend and colleague, prepared me well to lead Nine Star on to the next phase of our growth.
I am confident that Nine Star needs to stay true to its current mission of helping the under- and unemployed improve the quality of their lives through Education & Employment Services. To that end, I envision:
- A robust continuation of Nine Star’s exemplary Adult Education, High School Completion, Work Services, and Youth Employment Services programs.
- Nine Star being a “mover and a shaker” in the world of homeless prevention and intervention as we teach Alaskans how to Get a Job, Keep a Job, & Advance on the Job so they can remain housed and not join the population of the “chronically homeless.”
- Implementing a business plan crafted to energize the strategic plan initiated by Nine Star’s Board in 2015.
- A new organizational structure that will help us grow our resources while further enlarging our financial stability.
- Nine Star increasing our use of technology to assist us in implementing new efficiencies and increasing program outcomes.
- Nine Star’s Philosophy of care to be synonymous with our name. And as practicioners, we will continue to use Compassion, Excellence, and Collaboration to make Alaska a better place.
I am grateful for the solid foundation David imparted to us. This foundation allows us to continue this significant work. I commit to building on that foundation so Alaskans who come through our doors—staff and clients alike—will be better for coming to Nine Star.
President & CEO