Nine Star Education & Employment Services offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full time staff members*, including optional medical and vision coverage, life insurance and long term disability coverage, 10 holidays, and an annual leave bank of twenty (20) days (prorated based on hire date/probation). After two full years of service each July 1, full time employees qualify for an additional leave day each fiscal year, up to ten (10) bonus leave days. We make a 403(b) plan available, as well as Flexible Spending Account for eligible employees. Add to that an excellent work environment with supportive supervisors and energetic coworkers, and you have one of the ingredients for Nine Star’s enduring success: our employees have a home with us as we all strive to make life better for our clients! Nine Star is simply an excellent place to work.
Part Time ESL Instructor
Currently recruiting a part-time English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor for its Anchorage location. Instructors hold structured classes that develop adult students’ communication skills in preparation for the workplace, citizenship, and continuing education and training. Instruction takes place at 730 I Street; with monthly staff meetings. This position is PT 16+ hours per week.
The preferred applicant must have teaching experience, and a passion to help speakers of other languages reach their full potential as residents of Alaska. A certificate or degree in ESL (TESOL, TEFL, etc.) and some evening availability is highly preferred.
Established in 1976, we have grown into the fabric of Alaska, offering academic training and employment support to thousands of clients. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Our mission, through education and employment services, is to help Alaskans get a job, keep a job, and advance on the job.
POSITION SUMMARY: The ESL Instructor provides facilitation of specialized topics for small groups of ESL students. Topic examples include Citizenship and English for a Specific Purpose to enhance the life skills and work readiness for non-English speakers and immigrants.)
Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Work Services Specialist
Work Services Specialist provide Alaska Temporary Assistance clients who are unemployed and under employed with the skills to obtain and retain employment, and overcome barriers. Families First Work Services Specialist utilize a holistic approach to assist clients in achieving economic self-sufficiency.
- Implement principles of welfare reform and the work first philosophy.
- Assess clients to obtain financial, employment, educational/training, family composition and status, support network, and other information to identify challenges and barriers to self-sufficiency.
- Meets clients a minimum of once monthly as required.
- Develops Family Self-Sufficiency Plans to direct the activities of clients in moving toward economic self-sufficiency.
- Monitors clients to ensure they are achieving goals that lead to employment.
- Establish, maintain and review client files as well as prepare data for required reports accurately and in a timely manner.
- Identify and appropriately manage angry or hostile clients in crisis.
- Refer clients to appropriate community resources for services that address and meet specific needs as identified.
- Refer clients to training projects that will lead to a higher level of self-sufficiency.
- Prepare for and attend case review hearings with clients.
- Participate as a team member in weekly program staff meetings and other meetings as required.
- Works with other Nine Star Work Services staff as a team to collaborate and meet the needs of all clients.
- Maintain connectivity with DPA eligibility staff in serving client needs.
- Develop employment and training opportunities and make appropriate job matches and referrals for clients
- Make client work site and home visits as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE JOB:
- Possess an Associate’s Degree in Human Services or closely related field and two years experience in Social Services or a closely related field. (4 years of direct case management experience may be substituted.)
- Have a minimum of one year related teaching experience.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and FileMaker Pro.
- Adept at working independently as well as with team members.
- Hold excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills.
- Able to organize and prioritize a variety of tasks.
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Able to coordinate multiple tasks and follow-up in spite of frequent interruptions.
- Maintain a professional attitude with enthusiasm and dependability.
- Exercise time management skills.
- Willing to take on new tasks with an eagerness to learn new skills.
- Flexible and willing to shift to new tasks when needed.
SUPERVISOR: LEAD WORK SERVICES SPECIALIST
HOURS OF WORK: Vary according to client needs and staff schedules
Please fax your resume to LV at 644-9925 or email it to email@example.com
Mat-Su Adult Education
Position Summary: This position is full time, Monday through Friday between 8am and 5 pm (may include some evenings and an occasional Saturday). The role of the Adult Basic Education (ABE) Instructor is to provide instruction in the basic skills of reading, writing, and mathematics to adult learners in order to prepare them for transitioning into the labor market or higher academic or vocational training.
Qualifications for the Position: Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of one year of teaching experience, preferably teaching adults.
- Ability and willingness to follow adult basic education policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally.
- Have a professional, approachable, and friendly attitude with all staff members, clients and visitors.
- Ability to work independently as well as with team members.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to coordinate simultaneous tasks, follow-up on details in an environment with frequent interruptions.
- Possess excellent time management skills; absolutely dependable and punctual.
- Willingness to take on new tasks with an eagerness to learn new skills.
- Ability to use good judgment to make sound decisions on complex issues.
- Personable, assertive disposition.
- Self-starter, motivated to complete tasks properly and completely with minimal supervision.
- Ability to problem-solve through situations with an understanding of when to ask for assistance.
- Ability and willingness to utilize the Nine Star ABE database to maintain student records and communicate student related information via database notes.
- Ability to utilize different databases (i.e. AK State Database) to access student data.
Adult Basic Education Teacher:
- Ability & willingness to teach math, language arts, science, and social studies.
- Ability and willingness to follow Adult Basic Education curriculum.
- Ability to identify specific learning objectives based on the TABE test and GED Ready practice tests.
- Ability to help students set goals and track progress toward their goals.
- Ability to motivate students and to monitor and encourage student progress.
- Desire to continue learning and implementing new teaching methods.
- Ability and willingness to help students with various assignments in study hall as assigned.
- Ability to assign directed study to students based on their skill levels in study hall.
- Teach math, language arts, science, and social studies.
- Facilitate Study Hall when needed.
- Answer student questions and provide counsel regarding their studies.
- Contact students regarding attendance, post-testing, and other issues.
- Maintain appropriate records of class attendance & maintain Nine Star ABE database as described above.
- Help develop curriculum.
- Participate in recruitment and retention campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
Send Resume & Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Staff must successfully pass a 90 day probationary period to qualify for benefits.